A plaque remaining from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem.

Above, a 1934 plaque from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem. Discarded as trash in 2006. Now a Popeye's fast food restaurant on Google Maps.

Recent entries:
“The drop in gas prices during this lockdown is like a bald man winning a hairbrush” (4/7)
“The drop in petrol price during the lockdown is like a bald man winning a hairbrush” (4/7)
“Bologna is just a hot dog pancake” (4/7)
“Grocery shopping has become a real life version of PAC-Man. Avoid everyone, get the fruit” (4/7)
“Why is an empty champagne bottle like an orphan?"/"Because it has lost its pop.” (4/7)
More new entries...

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z


Entry from September 18, 2005
Cemetery Belt (Glendale)
Glendale in Queens has been called the "Cemetery Belt." Glendale began to be surrounded by cemeteries after Manhattan stopped added cemeteries in 1852.

http://www.qgazette.com/common/neighborhoods/Glendale/
Glendale

Zip Code 11385

Community Board 5

First known as Fresh Ponds, Glendale, like its close neighboring community, Ridgewood, was largely settled by German farmers. It got its name from George S. Schott who named it for his hometown in Ohio.

When Manhattan banned the building of additional cemeteries in 1852 Glendale became surrounded by cemeteries in what is called the Cemetery Belt. There are possibly more gravesites in the area than residents.

http://www.glendaleny.com/history/historymain.htm
An 1852 law that banned cemeteries in Manhattan caused cemetery owners to cast their eyes toward Queens. Many cemeteries encircle Glendale in what was known as the "Cemetery Belt."

http://www.newsday.com/extras/lihistory/spectown/hist000e.htm
The Name: In 1860, a large slice of Fresh Ponds was acquired by George S. Schott. He renamed it Glendale after his Ohio hometown. Nine years later developer John C. Schooley adopted the name for his 469-lot development.

Turning Points: Starting in 1852 when a law banned future cemeteries in Manhattan, Glendale became surrounded by cemeteries in what is known as the Cemetery Belt.

Posted by Barry Popik
Neighborhoods • (0) Comments • Sunday, September 18, 2005 • Permalink